Staff Training Program 2023
Staff Training Program (STP) is a two-week residential training program at Camp Powhatan for 14- and 15-year-olds to get a taste of life on camp staff. The goal of STP is to train scouts to be prepared to serve on summer camp staff, and to teach them core lessons for being good employees for life. STP participants live at camp, shadow full-time camp staff, and participate in workshops on emergency preparedness and safety, camp culture, merit badge instruction, and job skills. They will work directly with campers under the supervision of program area directors. A dedicated Staff Training Program director will supervise the STP experience.
STP participants will be part of two weeks of the summer camp season. They may leave camp between noon on Saturday and noon on Sunday. There will be no program during this period.
- Guaranteed staff interview for the next summer camp and beyond with successful completion of program, interview, and clean work record
- Earn two merit badges
- Receive leadership, soft skills, and employment training
- Earn work experience and future job referrals
- Build a network of future camp staff
- Be a registered member of a Scouting Unit
- Be 14 years old by June 1
- Be interested in serving on camp staff in future years
- Have a completed medical form (parts A, B, and C) with physician’s signature
What to bring:
- Current BSA medical signed by physician and completed Home Prescreening form
- Copy of family insurance card
- Class A uniform(s)
- Class B t-shirts
- Socks, underwear, etc.
- Boots for hiking
- Sleeping bag/gear
- Rain gear
- Water bottle
- Insect repellant
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Personal first aid kit
- Pen or pencil and Sharpie
In an effort to minimize illness at camp, we ask that you and your Scout do a daily health screen for 7 days before your session starts. The camp session starts best with healthy Scouts, with good health that begins at home. You must bring completed BRSR Home Prescreening Form on Opening Day each week for each person attending.