STEM University 2022 - SIUC Scouts BSA College
STEM University - SIUC: Scouts BSA College
Host sponsor: Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
***Special collectors Badge set with attendance to all 5 STEM U / College Events - SIUE, UMSL, SEMO, SIUC, and LLCC***
**MASKS & SOCIAL DISTANCING WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED**
Who: Scouts BSA youth, parents, and Scout leaders
When: Saturday, February 26th, 2022
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: Southern Illinois University Carbondale (1263 Lincoln Dr, Carbondale, IL 62901)
Cost: $16.00 per youth. $10 for adults. We will be providing these items: Pizza lunch, STEM U patch, Digital Nova Cards, Digital Blue Cards, and specific program materials (e.g., Start Your Engines Nova). Some items should be found at home / review all prereqs.
Payment: Mastercard, VISA and Discover. Payments and registration will only be accepted online.
Registration Deadline: Sunday, February 21 at 11:59 pm or when capacity reached.
This year, Scouts have several merit badges and Nova awards to choose from. Participants will take part in classrooms activities with leaders guiding Scouts through hands-on activities.
Starting time: 8:30am, end time: tentatively 4 pm (subject to change)
Exact schedule of events
- 8:30am Opening Ceremonies.
- 8:45 - 11:55am - Morning session
- 12:00 - 12:45pm - Lunch Break
- 12:45 - 4:00pm. Afternoon session
Please note, not all merit badge/nova sessions will go the full time period. Sessions will involve content, discussions, activities, and videos designed to meet the requirements of the merit badge/Nova award.
STEM University Rules and Regulations:
During the courses Scouts will be expected to:
- Be in uniform and prepared to learn.
- Have a watch or clock handy. Return after breaks in a timely fashion.
- Read over the merit badge pamphlet and work on the merit badge workbook prior to the class. You can find merit badge pamphlets at the Scout Shop or in your troop library. Worksheets can be found at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
- Participate in the merit badge class. Simply attending is not enough to earn the badge. You need to participate.
- An adult parent or guardian needs to either be with their Scout or within ear/eye shot of the event to maintain youth protection guidelines.
- Scouts should, as much as possible, complete the prerequisites prior to the event. See attached document. That said, partials are sometimes needed. Scouts can reach out to instructors after the event to complete their badges.
- Make sure to enter a valid email when registering and check your email before the event. Some instructors may send out additional information prior to class.
NO late registrations or walk-ins. Out of Council Scouts are welcome to enroll.
Merit Badge Classes being offered:
- Auto Maintenance
- Shoot! NOVA
- Designed To Crunch! NOVA
A free STEM Nova Counselor/Supernova Mentor Training is also being offered for adults and parents! The training will take place on February 26th from 10:00am to 11:00am. The Zoom link will be emailed out to participants the week before the event. Please register as a free adult on this event to participate!